Tuesday, October 18, 2011

As every thread of gold is valuable, so is every moment of time.

I made it through midterm critiques! Hurray! It's hard to believe that I'm halfway through this semester already, how time flies...As hectic as school can be, sometimes I wish it would never end. I'm actually debating doing a third year at the ol' ATC, to perfect my skills before I dive into the world of being a self-employed craftsperson. Plus, it would be nice to feel like a kid for a little longer. I'm still working on my "adult" skills. For instance, time management! Because I was working all weekend I was left scrounging at the last minute to complete my goldwork before my critique. I thank coffee and PB&J cookies for getting me through. 

So! Goldwork is the art of embroidery using metal threads. It was originally developed in Asia and has been used for at least 2000 years. It reached its peak of popularity in the middle ages. Goldwork was often used   in royalty and ecclesiastical garments.


This is an early stage of my goldwork....




and this is what it looks like now that it's complete!






























I really enjoyed making this.
Looking forward to my next project.


Man. I am tired. AND feeling a little under the weather.
I best head to bed to catch up on my sleep. :)
Thanks for reading and sweet dreams.

<3

1 comment:

  1. oO- great piece. Goldwork is basically all I do now that I've graduated!

    ReplyDelete