Sunday, January 9, 2011

Keeping it Clean

I cannot even begin to explain how much I enjoy bathing with Epsom Salts. For me, it's the ultimate stress reliever.  Especially combined with a glass of red wine, or two. ;)




Epsom Salts are made up of magnesium and sulphate. When the body is stressed it gets drained of magnesium and bathing with epsom salt helps to body to replenish! The salt also calms the nervous system, draws toxins from  the body, relaxes the muscles and reduces inflammation. It's said that bathing with epsom salt several times a week will make you look and feel better both inside and out!

Colourful and fragrant bath salts are essentially jazzed up epsom salt and here's how to make your own, with some cute packaging!

Materials:

- Epsom Salts
- fragrance : essential oils, plant and flower extract, and even petals work great. 
In this case I used Aveda's Personal Blends in the Water Nature Scent.
- food colouring (optimal)
- a mixing bowl
- a spoon for mixing
- a container with a lid. I'm using a mason jar. 
- decorative paper, ribbon, lace, buttons etc.
- scissors
- a pencil
- glue






1. Begin by filling your container with the salt, to measure how much you're going to need, then pour it into a mixing bowl.




2.  Next, add the fragrance of your desired strength and add the food colouring to your desired saturation. I just used one drop of blue food colouring and about 8 drops of my scent. Mix until the colour and scent  is evenly dispersed throughout the salt.



3. Now to decorate your lid by gluing on patterned paper or fabric, ribbon or other accessories.



4. And you're done! This craft makes a great gift, it's cost effective and easy to do!




________________________

When I was in the Harbourside Youth Arts Program part of our daily regime was to read a virtue card from The Virtues Project : a world-wide initiative to inspire the daily practice of virtues. I found that they inspired and challenged me to become a better person. This Christmas, Billy gave me these cards as a present, I'm amazed that he even remembered them and I'm so so happy to have them! :D I think I'm going to start incorporating these virtues into my blog. 

Let's start with Cleanliness....

CLEANLINESS is treating our bodies with respect and care by keeping ourselves clean, fresh and healthy, eating pure foods and breathing fresh air. We strive to keep our spirit clean and our mind clear. We rid ourselves of habits that do not serve our dignity.  We think and speak in ways that honour others and ourselves. Cleaning up our mistakes gives us a fresh start. When we forgive, we cleanse our hearts of negativity. We do our part to care for the earth. Cleanliness around us makes our souls peaceful. Cleanliness within us brings more peace to the world. 

" In ever aspect of life, purity and holiness, cleanliness and refinement, exalt the human condition...Even in the physical realm, cleanliness will conduce to to spirituality." 
- Abd'ul Baha, Selected Writings P. 146-7

The Practice of Cleanliness

- I keep myself fresh and clean.
- I put only healthful things in my body.
- I cleanse myself of harmful habits.
- I am willing and able to clear up my mistakes.
- I forgive others and I forgive myself.
- I am a responsible steward of the Earth.
- I keep my environment clean and beautiful.

I am thankful for the gift of Cleanliness, It frees my spirit.

:) 

Isn't that lovely?

Well I best get to bed, it is almost 7 in the morning! Why am I nocturnal lately?! 

Perhaps another bath will help...


goodnight, 
peace and love,

-KB


3 comments:

  1. You are actually the cutest person I've ever met. <3

    I'm loving the Epsom salts. I love baths, so if I get the time, I'll totally do this. Love the turquoise/blue color, too! And you know what color I'm making mine, don't you? ;)

    I'm also very interested in the Virtues Project cards, as well.

    Lovely entry, darling!

    XX,
    D.G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, death! I can't edit my comment.

    *what color I'd make mine, don't you?

    *I'm very interested in the Virtues Project cards, as well!

    I had to! So sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehehe

    DEF lavender :)

    Oh Dee, I think you would really like these cards.

    We need to have a date, like asap, so much catching up to do!
    Drinks Saturday night? For realz this time!

    ReplyDelete