Sunday, January 2, 2011

For Auld Lang Syne, My Dear

Happy New Year!!

Can you  even believe that 2011 is finally here? I personally, feel very relieved and ready for a fresh start. I want to work hard on my many resolutions and writing this blog happens to be one of them!

When I think about the past 365 days and all of the good and bad that has happened I cannot help but shed a tear and trust in fate that the astronomical changes that have happened to me and everyone around me have happened for great reason. 2010 will go down in history as one of the most memorable years of my life. I feel like it has permanently changed me and everything I will do for the rest of time. Let's recap...

I started the year off with a positive outlook and a major goal of getting my life on track. I wanted a job that I truly enjoyed, a comforting home, and I wanted to start my post secondary education. 

I spent the winter and spring feeling lost and confused, working retail and secretarial jobs, daydreaming about what I truly wanted. During this time I applied for the Textiles: Craft, Apparel and Design program at The College of the North Atlantic. Even though I was miserable with my personal and professional life, I had faith that I would get into school and that everything would come together before the year was out. 


Halfway through the year, my life was turned upside down. I felt like the universe was testing me, I guess to make me a stronger more focused person.





On June 1st I began working at Blue Moon Pottery for the lovely Miss Isabella St. John.  Her pottery studio located in The Battery is built into the cliffs of the Narrows with the most beautiful view of the city.




Needless to say, I feel in love with my work instantly, it felt like a dream come true. 

Five days after starting my job tragedy hit. I lost a very dear friend of mine, Eugene Upshall. We called him Genemoney. He was a month shy of his 27th birthday, full of dreams and aspirations. 

He was the greatest man. So much so that my description of him will not even come close to doing him justice, and that I am sorry for. He was wise beyond his years, an old soul. Full of knowledge that he loved to share...a great conversationalist , he could carry-on with any person no matter their age or lifestyle. He was beyond hard-working and he proved that through his academic and professional careers, always planning ahead and dreaming big. He loved his friends and family dearly and spoke of them often, they were his world. He truly made the most of his short life. I admired him so much and still do always taking into considering what he would have done in a situation. I strive to be more and more like him every day, and by doing that I feel that he lives on. 





Since Eugene's death, I have begun to see life in a new light. I am very grateful for what I have. I appreciate the journey of life and look forward to what the future has to offer me. I feel able to better recognize my strengths and weaknesses and to work with what I've got and work on improving those things that I dislike about myself. I see myself as a person capable of achieving any goal I set for myself and I have Eugene to thank for that. <3

After taking a few weeks off to grieve I was very thankful to return to such a therapeutic workspace. I spent the rest of the summer hands deep in clay, making cod fish, platters, plaques and pins while gazing at at the harbour and watching the baby gulls grow.










In mid-August I finally got that comfortable home I was longing for. Billy's (my boyfriend) sister moved out of their parents basement apartment and it was offered to us! We spent the fall painting, redecorating, and accumulating furniture. After a lot of hard-work making it our own, I can honestly say that it feels like my home. I even have a crafting space, and Billy has a music room (which I refer to as a man-cave). 
















September came and I started the Textiles program. In my first week our class went on a trip to Upper Amherst Cove for an Artist's retreat. It was a lot of fun despite tenting in the rain. We got to partake in all kinds of workshops and it was a great way to break the ice and get to know our classmates and instructors. The Anna Templeton Center is by far my favourite place to be and I've actually been missing school so much over the holidays, imagine! I feel very lucky to be studying in such an encouraging environment and because it's so great I spend a LOT of time there. I've been sacrificing my social life for good grades, but it's been worth it. I got a 4.0 GPA this semester! I have 5 semesters to go but I already feel like I've learned so much. I'm already fantasizing about our final show!   

On top of everything that I've learned from school I've also formed some great friendships, friendships I'm sure will last a lifetime. It's so refreshing to be surrounded by like-minded people. I look forward to watching everyone blossom and grow. :)






















  
In November, Billy and I traveled to Montreal, my first out of province trip in 8 years! It was much needed and we had a fantastic time. We got to see one of our favourite bands  (Blind Guardian) perform, visit the Notre Dame, and do a ton of shopping, wining and dining. I fell in love with the city and cannot wait to return! I'd love to make it  my home away from home.
























Oh what a year, what a year!
I ended it all with a fabulous Christmas filled with friends, family, lots of food, drinks, parties and holiday cheer! Highlights being: shopping for gifts, decorating the apartment, stringing popcorn, The Sarah Budden Band, Katie and Heather's Potluck, Bossi on the Rossi, Bonavista Bay with Dad, Uncle Martin and Aunt Irene, and the Genemoney Benefit II.
























So, for 2011 I expect happiness, prosperity, travel, love and lots of creativity, and I wish the same for you all!!!


Thanks for reading :)

peace and love,
KB



1 comment: